14K Gold vs 18K Gold: Which is Right for You?

14K Gold vs 18K Gold: Which is Right for You?

It's time to talk about the real treasure in our lives - Gold!

We all love gold jewellery, but the question is, are you wearing the right karat of gold? If you're wondering whether 14K gold or 18K gold is the way to go, don't worry, we've got you covered!

Here we're going to break down the differences between 14K and 18K gold and help you decide which one is right for you. So sit back, relax, and let's get into the golden world of karats!

Know the purity of your gold

What's a Karat, anyway?

Before we dive into the differences between 14K  and 18K gold, let's start with the basics. A karat is a unit of measurement used to determine the purity of gold on a scale of 0 to 24. 24K gold is considered pure gold, while zero karat gold isn't gold at all.

But when it comes to jewellery, 24K gold isn't always the best choice as it's too soft and can easily get deformed or scratched. Hence, it's mixed with other metals like copper, zinc or silver to make it more durable. This is where 18K and 14K come into play. So, karat tells you how much gold is in the mixture. The higher the karat, the more gold there is in the mixture.

14K gold is ideal for everyday wear

14K Gold: The Everyday Wear Classic

Let's start with 14K gold. This is a popular option for jewellery because it is durable and affordable. 14K gold contains 58.3% pure gold, and the remaining 41.7% is made up of other metals such as copper, silver, and zinc. This mixture makes 14K gold more durable than higher karat options, which is perfect for everyday wear. 14K gold also has a warm, subtle colour that complements all skin tones.

18K gold is made of 75% gold

18K Gold: The Luxurious Choice

18K gold is a luxurious option for jewellery because it contains 75% pure gold, making it more expensive and softer than 14K gold. The remaining 25% is made up of other metals such as copper, silver, and zinc.

18K gold has a rich, vibrant colour that gives jewellery a luxurious look. However, the higher gold content makes 18K gold less durable than 14K gold, making it perfect to wear for special occasions.

Consider your style and pocket

Which One Should you choose?

So, which one is right for you? Well, the answer depends on your style, your budget, and your lifestyle.

If you're buying a piece of jewellery that you'll wear every day, like a wedding band or a splendid engagement ring, 14K gold may be the better option because it's more durable. But if you're buying a special piece for a fancy occasion, like a precious pendant or a pair of earrings, 18K gold is the perfect choice to add luxury to your look.

And of course, you don't have to choose between the two. You can mix and match 14K and 18K gold pieces to create a unique and eclectic style. Just remember to take good care of your gold jewellery, regardless of the karat. Keep it away from harsh chemicals and abrasive surfaces, and clean it regularly with a soft cloth.

Find Your Perfect Piece with GIVA Gold Collection

Gold jewellery has always been the ultimate treasure that symbolises luxury, elegance, and wealth. Whether you prefer 14K or 18K gold, both have their own unique characteristics that make them the perfect choice for different occasions and personal styles. At the end of the day, it's all about finding the perfect piece that makes you feel confident and beautiful.


GIVA presents to you a stunning gold jewellery collection that features unique designs and intricate details. From statement pieces to delicate and dainty options, we have something for everyone. So, whether you're looking for a gift for a loved one or a treat for yourself, GIVA's gold jewellery collection is the perfect choice!

Back to blog